Sunday, February 18, 2007

Names of Soy-based Products

Hello, again. Please note my disclaimer…I am not a medical doctor nor do I give advice to anyone regarding health issues. I am just trying to find answers to my own mysterious medical problems.

This post will be geared toward the names of soy found in products and products I’ve found soy in. Soy is not brand name specific so don’t think that because you use a generic brand that it is safe.

I’ve scoured some sites and found lists of the hidden names of soy. A short list of these follows. If you find there are more names than I am giving to you, please feel free to post comments in my comment section. I’ll appreciate it greatly and so will many others who read these posts.

Some Names of Soy
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
Lecithin
Miso
Mono- and di-glycerides
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
Natto
Natural Flavors
Soy - anything that says soy or begins with soy (cheese, fiber, flour, grits, meal. milk, oil, protein, sauce, yogurt, lecithin)
Tempeh
Tofu
Vegetable Oil
Vegetable Protein
Vitamin E - in larger words, Alpha-D Tocopherol
Okara
Yuba
Natto
Brominated Vegetable Oil
Daizu
Taho
Bulking Agent
Emulsifier
Guar Gum
Gum Arabic
Protein filler / extender
Seasoned Salt
Stabilizer
Shortening
Thickener
Vegetable Gum / Starch / Oil / Protein

OK. Now for the down and dirty part which really, REALLY shocked me. After I realized I may be poisoning myself by eating too much soy, I took a marker into my pantry and marked everything with my husband’s initial. I did this so I’d know only he can eat the stuff. So, I read labels and marked. It took me about 30 minutes, maybe more, to go through all of my foodstuff shelves and freezers. What I found was that approximately ONE-THIRD of the items I stocked I COULD EAT. I gave away three plastic grocery bags of groceries to my neighbor with an explanation about ridding my body of soy.

Here’s the kicker…the products I found soy in by just using the list above.
Flour, canned spaghetti sauce, all crackers, breads, chocolate milk powder, chocolate and regular candy (including chewing gum!), cake mixes, cream and regular soups, tuna and other canned meats, puddings, baking chips (all flavors), potato chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, cookies and other snacks, coffee creamer, tomato sauce, chicken bouillion, dry seasonings, ramen noodle soups, gravy packets, salad dressing packets, mayonnaise and salad dressing (mayo-like and for greens), worcestershire sauce, other liquid seasoning sauces, prepared baking mixes, margarines, vitamins, some fresh seasoned meats, breads, vegetable oil, processed cheeses, hydrogenated vegetable oil; all prepared frozen items, such as, frozen pizza, french fries, onion rings, pizza bites, frozen dinners, frozen whole turkey and meats (injected with stuff for flavor), ice creams, an on and on. I found I am mainly allergic to soy items I can eat.

Another issue, if you’re totally allergic to soy, is the items you put onto the outside of your body. Soaps, shampoos and conditioners, face creams, lotions, cosmetics, perfumes, etc.

PLEASE READ THE LABELS. It's easy and it's free.

A couple more of my rules is: if I can’t pronounce the ingredients, I don’t want to eat it. If the item has more than a few ingredients, then there’s soy in there somewhere. This saves me a lot of time and frustration in the grocery store. On my first trip reading labels, I spent 1-½ hours in the food section. In the middle of the grocery store, I received a phone call from my worried husband wondering where I was.

Yes, I do cook a lot for myself and my family - I always have. I do read the labels faithfully. I don’t eat out. When I eat at a relative’s house, I try to choose carefully. This is very tricky since about every product everyone uses contains soy. Relatives tend to watch what you eat and will insist on you eating a little of everything they’ve made. Find a good excuse and stick with it no matter how much they prod you to eat.

The upside of removing soy from my diet is losing two clothing sizes of what I call ‘toxic fat’. I didn’t lose but a few pounds of total mass. That doesn’t bother me as long as I see an improvement in my health.

I hope some of this either helps you or makes some sense to you. I am glad I’m not alone in my quest to lead a normal lifestyle through better eating habits. I have read many websites and postings of others who are trying to find a solution for this soy problem. Good luck to all of you!

Take care of yourself. Help yourself because no one else knows you better than you. When a mysterious affliction shows itself, always ask the question “Could I have a food allergy?”

Next post may contain allergic reactions and some easy recipes.

Regards.

No comments: